Kawau Boating Club
A piece of maritime history has been given a new lease of life by a group of enterprising yachties and Kawau Island residents. When RNZYS closed the Kawau Island Yacht Club back in April 2014 an important asset in the Hauraki Gulf for boaties was lost. The club and its amenities are the only facilities for the boating public on an island in the Hauraki Gulf which are operated by a Club and which offer all weather shelter.
The newly named Kawau Boating Club Inc. opened its doors to everyone with an Inaugural Opening Regatta at Labour Weekend 2014 in conjunction with Mahurangi Cruising Club.
Everyone is welcome to join and you can become a member by emailing email@example.com or clicking on the button below to join now and pay online:
Open from October to June every year the ‘KBC’ is a real gem. Situated right in the heart of Bon Accord Harbour, opposite Schoolhouse Bay, this is a special place.
One of only three hospitality establishments on the island It is a second home for some hardy live aboard boaties and a destination for Auckland’s mainland boaties. It is a favourite speak easy for local Kawau Island residents and visitors. While the club has a very strong membership, non-members are absolutely welcome to come and enjoy the facility.
At the KBC you can;
- Fuel Up – with petrol, diesel, 2 stroke oil and water
- Recharge – with great coffee and food – breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Drink – enjoy a quiet drink in our fully licensed bar (watch the stunning sunsets!)
- Takeaway – off licence alcohol sales, coffee and cabinet food
- Shop – a small general store for basic items
- Read – a lending library for boaties to exchange their books and magazines
- Wash – showers, toilets and laundry facilities
Just around the corner;
Within 20 metres of the club is the palm lined Lidgard lawn with childrens playground and heaps of picnic spots.
And….the ruins of the 1840’s Zinc and Copper Smelting House! One of New Zealand’s oldest historic ruins!
Kawau Boating Club is vibrant, interesting, cherished by members and welcoming to visitors – come and see us soon!
How to get there;
- in your own boat – nearest launching ramp is Sandspit (the club approximately 10 nautical miles from Sandspit)
- catch the regular Kawau Cruises mail run ferry departing 10.30am daily and arriving at the club around midday
- charter a water taxi from Sandspit, Matakana or Omaha
- charter a private ferry from any of the private operators
Hours of operation;
12 October 2017 – 12 December 2017 Thursday to Monday 10am to close (evening)
12 December 2017 – Easter 2018 7 days 9am to close
Easter 2018 – June 2018 Thursday to Monday 10am to close
09 422 8845 (club)
021 084 20890 (David)
Look at our Facebook page to see some cool pics!
Come and check this place out…..it is OARSOME!!!